Sunday, April 5, 2009

Holi/Vagina Analogy


(The director)


EXCERPT FROM INTERVIEW WITH V-DAY DIRECTOR:

Keep in mind, this woman is coming at the play from a theatre perspective not 'cause' perspective, and last thing I knew was highly uncomfortable with the subject matter. When I went for the rehearsal, she was a changed woman with a religious-like converted fanatic glow in her eyes. On a chai break mid-rehearsal, she told me her Holi metaphor for the use of the Vagina Monologues:

"You have quite a few words and sayings that are not.. said. Have you been to a holi festival in Bombay? They use the colors. And the day before that there are a lot of wooden logs that are collected... You are not supposed to buy those logs. You are supposed to steal them, collect them, and burn the logs. And there is a tradition in Mahrashtra, you have to use all the bad words. All the bad words- it’s a tradition. All bad things, all bad words, and anyone, the most gentleman even!

And next day those colors, the colors are a very... open thing... And those two days are for the bad words and everything. And I found it very near to this play. Getting rid of all the inhibitions. Whatever there is. How do you say in English? … Cleansing the system! Getting shed of all inhibitions and becoming free, regarding each and every part of your body. So I found it very close to the festival!

I found it.. The first time I felt when I read it [I thought of this]. In our tradition we have this concession of letting us, whatever, get out our inhibitions! Whatever we feel, we can just throw it out on those three days. It’s a big concession to our society. It’s very important [...] It has changed me a as a person.


(My findings: Group hugs = universal)

No comments: