Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obamanos!


Yeah Obama! Though was for once on a work roll, made myself leave the apartment to seek the Night Market, some din din, and an inauguration party. It's crazy how ultra proactive one has to be in the beginning stages of making a home somewhere. On the one hand I think I am freakishly adaptable at this point- having only slept like four nights here, I got back from the North and way like, 'Oh sigh! Home!' Though this also backfires; for example was talking to Katie and heard myself complaining about how I don't have any friends beyond my informants here... Then realized I haven't even been here a week- come on! Give yourself some slack Jen.

Night market was a fairly revolting mess of everything I don't like about tourism, globalism, and sex work- i.e. could have gone to a 'pussy-ping-pong event' declined rather scornfully. So after some green curry (blisssssssss) went to this bar, for Democrats in Thailand event, and holy-cow, haven't seen this many Americans since July.

Was kind of an overload actually, we could have been in Salem, Portland, anywhere. Lots of tanned, confident, and glammed up ex-pats- most of the women with nose piercings (a nod here to the daily comedy that is life and acknowledgement of the irony). Anyways, it was kind of lonely to be in the crush of people, though the energy was undeniably charged. Ended up chillin with folks from London, Norway, and some Australians, so that's hilarious. Anyways, I will go to sleep tonight very content and so so pleased for these tides of change.

No comments: