Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mumbai, I am feeling you.



I have exhaustion in my eyes, curry licorice in my teeth, and Mumbai in my lungs. The end of the Bangkok chapter was a whirl of friends, fun, booze, and NORMALITY that broke my heart to leave. The city snuck into me, and instead of traveling manically around Thailand as I am normally apt to squeeze in, I opted to stick around and hedonistically relish the rare slice of community. Time there was weirdly cyclical with people and places popping up in mysterious ways. The last night had drinks on rooftop bar, got to ride through BKK in Sunanda's car bumping local hip hop and feeling cool, then perfectly nasty 'Volcano' club with the vaginas, buckets, and tea in the all night diner with my dear Elaheh before hailing a taxi around 5 am and heading to the airport; on the way there the DJ did a 'happy Women's Day' section, and it was so right to be pulling out of BKK into a new chapter on March 8th.

It's only a handful of hours later, not many of them containing sleep, and my imagination is already awash with vibrant and challenging images. There is this overstimulation combined with sleep deprivation that gives everything a tinge of magical surrealism: dozens of crows clinging to a bright red bus as it hurtles down the street; going to be an extra in a Bollywood movie tomorrow; Indians hesitating to rent me rooms because they think I am a whore; mango lassi was, appropriately, my first taste of India; blurry rainbow chalk explosions around the city feel like glimmers of a story I'll never understand...

I was driving around town on the back of a moto to look at a 'flat' of friend of friend of, etc. etc. suffice to say it didn't happen, but was a trip and a half- as we were zooming through the city, we passed this movie being filmed- super man was literally drifting down a few stories with the damsel in his arm in the middle of Mumbai, suspended by a crane but so so graceful none-the-less. I have so much more to say, but need to go sleep in the only (mangy) 3'X5' hotel room I could find.

No comments: