Monday, March 16, 2009




Sitting at a table ‘helping’ Vandana draft letters soliciting sponsors for the first ever Vagina Monololgues in Marahti (local language in this state), I couldn’t remember the last time I drafted something with a pen and paper. The local tea stand delivered chai in tiny burning glasses, and we pondered how to make it ‘peppy’ and how to emphasize ‘that IT’S A BIG DEAL!’

As her coworkers drifted into the community center she introduced me as her friend, which was more warming than the tea and climate combined. It was such a relief to have her explain my project- and to realize how well she understood it and believed in it's importance.

People keep asking if I’m sick of the Monologues, and the answer is not at all. I am usually the loudest laughter in the theatre. What I AM exhausted by is explaining why it is important, why people should care, and what I’m doing. Her friends kept calling excitedly, because the production was in the Marahti newspaper today, enclosed in a pink box and glowingly appreciative of her courage in the face of challenges and taboos.

She is this awesome woman, organizing the Monologues on her 'holiday' from very exciting community organizing NGO work. She is a single mom, and incredibly awesome and strong like my mom. I asked what her 14 year old daughter thought of her work, and she said she knew all about it. And wanted to act in it. How cool is that?? And also that although she wasn't letting her act, she volunteered to make her mom's bed till the show. I just love that.

No comments: